Freelancer Visa and Residence Permits in Europe: 7 Countries Available

Freelancer Visa and Residence Permits in Europe: 7 Countries Available

Freelancer Visa in Europe (Residence Permit): 7 Options for You to Start Today
Start your immigration strategy today:
Book a consultation call:

Contact me:

Check our other videos:


00:00 Intro
01:47 Countries
09:20 Freelancer Residence Permit or Digital Nomad Visa

In this video we will discuss a number of countries in which you can get a freelancer visa and a residence permit in Europe.
This applies mostly for people working remotely, if you are a software developer or a content creator or a designer or a consultant, the options in this list are possible ones.
You can also use some of these countries depending on your profession if you are working as a freelancer in non-tech jobs.


Slovakia is a great option to establish yourself as a freelancer in Europe. You can acquire a residence permit in Slovakia by opening a limited liability company or by getting a trade license. Like all other countries in this list, you will not need to hire any locals to get your residence permit in Slovakia as a freelancer.
Slovakia has a number of advantages such as being a member of the Schengen area, as all as an EU member using the euro currency.
Taxes for freelancers in Slovakia, and general corporate income taxes in the country are lower than in most countries of Western Europe.
If you are a citizen of a country that does not need a visa to enter Slovakia, such as the UK, the US, Canada and many others, you can apply for a residence permit from inside Slovakia.


Albania is also another country in which you can get a residence permit as a freelancer.
In Albania the way to go is by opening a company in the country, which is a relatively straightforward process that shouldn’t take more than 2 weeks to arrange once you have decided to start a business.
Most Western passport holders can come to Albania, open their business and apply for a residence permit from inside the country, which is also a huge advantage.


Georgia is another country you should consider if you want to live in Europe, more precisely on the crossroads between Europe and Asia.
In Georgia not only it is easy to get a freelancer visa and a residence permit, but you will be also living in one of the most pro-business countries in the world.
If your income is below approximately 120k USD per year and your clients are from outside Georgia, you can benefit from an income tax of just 1%.


Cyprus is another option for non-EU citizens willing to live in the EU as a freelancer. In Cyprus the situation is a bit different as you will not have to open a company in the country.
In Cyprus you will get a residence permit, popularly known as pink slip, if you already work for a company abroad, or if you already are a self-employed person abroad.
This is especially good if you are working with IT for companies based abroad and want to reside in Cyprus.
For this type of residence permit, you should be able to show an income North of 1300 euros per month approximately, although there is no official minimum.


Portugal once again made it to yet another list in our videos.
In Portugal the D2 visa is the most appropriate one if you want to be a freelancer in the country.
Some remote workers have also been successful applying for a D7 visa. So it will really depend on your type of activity, but there are plenty of options.
Compared to most other countries in the list Portugal has two disadvantages.


Serbia is another option that often comes up here on the channel, and it does have a lot of advantages indeed.
In Serbia there are two very popular residence permit categories: one is by buying real estate in Serbia and the other is by opening a company in Serbia.
If you are a freelancer, opening a company and running your operations from Serbia will render you eligible for a residence permit. This residence is unrestricted and you can both have clients from Serbia or from abroad.


Estonia is the last country in our list today if you want to become a freelancer in Europe, and you are a non-EU citizen.
In Estonia you can get a residence permit as a self-employed person. It is definitely the best deal in the Baltic region if you are a freelancer.
However, the minimum capital invested in your sole proprietorship company has to be 16.000 euros.
Estonia is a full EU member and also a member of the Schengen area. It is an extremely safe country and has a very pro-business atmosphere.

Difference between a freelancer residence permit and digital nomad visa:

-I will always prefer and recommend residence permits over digital nomad visas. For the same amount of bureaucracy you will be able to settle in the country and keep renewing your permits until you are a permanent resident and/or a citizen.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *